Saturday 23 May 2015

A new (old) role - I've been recycled!

So I've decided to start writing in this personal blog again... As many readers will know, for many years I've been a member of Dodington Parish Council. This is nothing like the Vicar of Dibley, which is based around a parochial church council. Instead it's the lowest layer of local government, a layer that people in cities don't have, which allows local facilities to be managed according to local wishes.

Quite a few years ago I became Vice-Chairman of the Parish Council, then Chairman, which was a role I undertook for five years (until I found someone else willing to take it on). I've now been "recycled" and I've just become Vice-Chairman again. As well as chairing some meetings, which I do anyway (I've chaired the Council's Community, Leisure and Environnment Committee for years), there's a more public role representing the Council at various public and private events.



I've just completed my first two events as Vice-Chairman of the Council. Yesterday I had the pleasure of presenting flowers to former fellow councillor Pat Cotterell and her husband Mike on the occasion of their 50th wedding anniversary.

This evening I attended a hog roast of the Sodbury and District Twinning Association, who are hosting a visit from our French twin town Cesson. My bilingual speech seemed to go down well - the French laughed in all the right places!

There are plans to set up youth twinning links assisted by modern technology, so that it's not just about the actual visits. I shall be very interested to see how the project develops.

No comments:

Post a Comment